Squad 51 playlist #1: Rocking with Johnny and Roy
Between calls or on their way back to quarters, these were the tunes TV's favorite firefighters and medics were cranking on the AM radio
Our Editor-in-Chief, like so many of you, grew up watching Emergency! He began to wonder about the top hits of 1972 to 1979 and which of those songs paramedics John Gage and Roy DeSoto would have been playing on the radio in Squad 51, the 8-track players in their POVs or over the loudspeakers in their Los Angeles County fire station.
Paramedic, EMS systems planner, novice guitar player and rock and roll fan Tim Perkins suggested this playlist as the tunes that Gage and DeSoto cranked up the AM Radio in Squad 51.
Listen to and save Perkins' Squad 51 playlist on Spotify so you can listen to it whenever you like. If you have an idea for a firefighter-themed playlist, send us an email or share it in the comments.
- Do It Again by Steely Dan — For frequent flyers
- Go All The Way by The Raspberries — Johnny Gage + 70’s = No brainer.
- I’ll Take You There by The Staples Singers
- It Never Rains In Southern California by Albert Hammond — How many times did it ever rain on the show?
- Stay With Me by Faces — For those in V-fib
- Dream On by Aerosmith
- Live And Let Die by Wings
- Billy Don’t Be A Hero by Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods
- Whatever Gets You Through The Night by John Lennon
- I Can Help by Billy Swan
- Nobody Does It Better by Carly Simon
- We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions by Queen
- Stayin’ Alive by Bee Gees — Who would have known that’s the tempo for chest compressions?
- Hollywood Nights by Bob Seger
- I Will Survive by Gloria Gaynor
- Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough by Michael Jackson — For the Lidocaine drips
- I Wanna Be Sedated by The Ramones