logo for print

Firefighter dies saving grandson in house fire

The volunteer firefighter was able to pass the toddler out the window before dying


ANDERSON, Ala. — A volunteer firefighter died while rescuing her grandson from a fire at her home in Ala. early Wednesday.

Officials said Elizabeth Childers, 42, died in the fire after handing her 2-year-old grandson out of a window to her husband, Scott Childers, according to WHNT News.

Scott, who is also a firefighter at the Anderson Volunteer Fire Department, safely made it out of their home along with their 17-year-old daughter and their grandson.

He ran back into the house twice looking for his wife, but was unable to find her before the heat and smoke forced him back outside, according to the report.

Recommended for you

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2018 FireRescue1.com. All rights reserved.