Firefighter-paramedic honored for saving colleague’s life
Tyler Hollingsworth and another firefighter were electrocuted while at the scene of a fire
By FireRescue1 Staff
NEWPORT NEWS, Va. — A firefighter-paramedic was honored for saving the life of a colleague who was electrocuted.
Newport firefighter Tyler Hollingsworth was responding to a vacant house fire last year; as crews were cleaning up, Hollingsworth and another firefighter attempted to fix a scene light.
“I stepped away for a minute and he was able to yell out at me ‘Get me off, get me off,’” Hollingsworth told WTVR.
Both Hollingsworth and his colleague were electrocuted. Doctors said had Hollingsworth hesitated, the other firefighter may have suffered a greater injury.
“That really resonated with me. I think we’re all aware of what could have happened. I’m glad I could help him out,” Hollingsworth said. “I’m sure he would have done the same for me in a heartbeat.”
Hollingsworth was presented with the Medal of Valor for his actions.