With the fire service facing a perfect storm of stressors, from a staffing crisis to expanding scope of work requirements and mental health challenges, we once again ask the vital question, “What do firefighters want?” The short answer: stress relief and staffing.
More than 2,100 firefighters completed the What Firefighters Want in 2023 state-of-the-industry survey, revealing some alarming statistics related to their feelings about the job.
The What Firefighters Want in 2023 special coverage series explores the root of firefighters’ stress, the impact of staffing challenges, how supervisor stress affects the entire crew, guidance for managing personal and professional stress, information about recruitment and retention solutions, insights into how stress affects the family unit, and much more to help firefighters and officers alike navigate the perfect storm of stress.
- Erasing stereotypes in the firehouse with allyship and ally support
- Firefighters at Ore. department demand better working conditions
- Beyond cats in a tree: 13 incredible animal rescues in 2023
- 2 Chicago police officers seriously injured after porch collapses during house fire
- Wis. firefighter injured in flashover while attempting to rescue pets during house fire