Solar panels sparked fire at Md. Amazon warehouse

The Office of the State Fire Marshal ruled the fire accidental, due to an "unspecified event" involving the solar panel system


Register for the June 16 webinar "Energy exposures: Simple steps for residential solar panel, ESS fire attack." 

Captain Richard Birt shares a bread-and-butter approach to mitigating residential structure fires involving solar panel and energy storage systems.

James Whitlow
The Aegis, Bel Air, Md.

The solar panel system on the roof of the Amazon warehouse in Cecil County sparked a fire that caused about $500,000 to the building, according to investigators.

The Office of the State Fire Marshal ruled the fire accidental, due to an "unspecified event" involving the solar panel system.

Senior Deputy State Fire Marshal Oliver Alkire said that firefighters reported
Senior Deputy State Fire Marshal Oliver Alkire said that firefighters reported "heavy smoke and fire" at the rear of the building and on the roof when they arrived. (Photo/Community Fire Company of Rising Sun, Inc.)

About 60 firefighters from the Charlestown, Susquehanna Hose, Level and other volunteer fire companies from Cecil and Harford counties responded to the warehouse, located in the 600 block of Principio Parkway West between North East and Perryville. The call came just before 2:30 p.m. and it took firefighters about 80 minutes to get the blaze under control, according to the fire marshal.

Employees discovered the fire, according to investigators.

Senior Deputy State Fire Marshal Oliver Alkire said that firefighters reported "heavy smoke and fire" at the rear of the building and on the roof when they arrived.

No injuries were reported, but Alkire said one employee was evaluated on scene.

Photo/Community Fire Company of Rising Sun, Inc.

___

(c)2021 The Aegis (Bel Air, Md.)

McClatchy-Tribune News Service

Recommended for you

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2021 FireRescue1. All rights reserved.