Daycare fire that killed 5 children blamed on extension cord

Investigators searched the property and electrical items were examined at a bureau laboratory


Associated Press

ERIE, Pa. — Investigators are blaming an electrical extension cord for a fire that killed five small children two months ago in Pennsylvania.

The investigative team said Thursday that the deadly Aug. 11 fire at the Erie, Pennsylvania, home that included the Harris Family Daycare was an accident, caused by an electrical failure associated with the routinely used cord.

Erie Bureau of Fire Inspector Mark Polanski helping investigate a fatal fire at 1248 West 11th St. in Erie, Pa. (Greg Wohlford/Erie Times-News via AP)
Erie Bureau of Fire Inspector Mark Polanski helping investigate a fatal fire at 1248 West 11th St. in Erie, Pa. (Greg Wohlford/Erie Times-News via AP)

The U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives announced the 1 a.m. blaze began in the first-floor living room.

The Erie Times-News says two older boys escaped with minor injuries by crawling onto a roof. The homeowner was injured and required hospital treatment.

Investigators searched the property and electrical items were examined at a bureau laboratory in Maryland.

Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Recommended for you

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2019 firerescue1.com. All rights reserved.