By Robert Avsec for FireRescue1 BrandFocus
Firefighters are a very protective lot when it comes to their individual hand tools. And every firefighter comes off their apparatus with what they feel are the best small tools for doing their job in the pockets of their turnout gear pants and jacket. One of the most popular articles on FireRescue1.com – and one that’s been through several revisions over the years – is, “What’s in your turnout coat pockets?”
Another fact of life on the fireground is that those same tools have a way of getting lost in fast-paced environment of suppressing a fire or extricating a patient from a car crash, especially at night. Sometimes those lost tools can reappear in the light of day, but they may be found by someone other than their owner. Unfortunately, many firefighters don’t have the means or the motivation to properly mark their small tools so that they can find their “way home.” So, the finder of the tool adopts the “orphan” as their own.
The folks at TheFireStore (“Everything but the truck!”) have come up with a solution to solve the problem of “wayward” hand tools: custom engraving. Now firefighters can get two types of customized engraving on selected products they purchase from The Fire Store:
Custom Text Engraving. You can select one line of text, two lines of text, or a large number (e.g., your station or unit number) depending upon the size of the item purchased.
Custom Logo Engraving. You can also select from one of five custom logos and have it engraved on your purchase from The FireStore. Select from five different logos for the one that’s right for you:
- U.S. Flag with a superimposed fire ax image.
- Maltese Cross with crossed fire axes in the background, along with text above and below the logo.
- Maltese Cross with text above and below the logo.
- The EMS “Star of Life” with text above and below the logo.
- Crossed fire axes with flame silhouettes arising between the axes, along with text below the logo.
AVAILABLE TOOLS FOR CUSTOM ENGRAVING
Need a new flashlight? You can choose from any one of the 28 models in the Streamlight product line of rugged and durable flashlights that include both:
- Helmet-mounted like the Streamlight Vantage and Streamlight Vantage II.
- Handheld models like the Streamlight Survivor Alkaline and the Streamlight Survivor Rechargeable (Both models can also be clipped to your turnout coat for hands-free illumination).
- The Leatherman Raptor Folding Shears with emergency-specific tools (5 color options available).
- The Leatherman Skeletool Multi-Tool.
- The Leatherman Super Tool Multi-Tool 300.
- The Leatherman OHT One-Handed Opening Multi-Tool.
- The Leatherman Micra Multi-Tool.
- The Leatherman Rebar Multi-Tool.
CHANNELLOCK RESCUE TOOLS
Since the launch of Channellock’s flagship product in 2008, the company’s Model 86 Rescue Tool and Model 87 Rescue tool have become the “gold standard” for giving firefighters a multi-function rescue tool they can carry in their turnout gear pocket. A firefighter with a Channellock rescue tool is a powerful team that can:
- Cut cables, wire, and various light metals.
- Pry open doors and windows.
- Shut off gas line valves.
- Tighten or loosen stubborn hose couplings.
Whether it’s your trusty multi-tool or your dependable flashlight, personalizing them with custom engraving can help ensure they make it back into the pocket of your turnout gear at the end of the day.