Trending Topics

Sauna equipment sparks San Diego 2-alarm gym fire

San Diego firefighters saw smoke showing from the second floor of the Midway District gym when they arrived

By Karen Kucher
The San Diego Union-Tribune

SAN DIEGO — A two-alarm fire ignited by equipment in a sauna damaged a two-story fitness center in the Midway District Thursday morning, officials said.

The fire was reported just before 6:20 a.m., and when crews arrived they saw heavy smoke coming from the second floor of the Victory MMA & Fitness gym in a shopping center on Midway Drive near Sports Arena Boulevard, officials said.

All occupants were out of the building when crews arrived, a spokesperson for the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department said in an online report. More than 80 fire personnel were sent to the fire.

Midway Drive between Kemper and Duke Streets was closed in both directions as fire crews worked to put out the flames.

The fire was caused by an equipment failure in the gym’s sauna, a fire official said. No damage estimate was immediately available.

No injuries were reported.

“Firefighters searched the entire fitness center structure and no one was located inside,” the fire department reported.

As a precaution, San Diego police evacuated guests from the Wyndham Garden San Diego hotel on Sports Arena Boulevard, which is just north of the gym, a police spokesperson said.

©2024 The San Diego Union-Tribune.
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.