Trending Topics

3 Colo. firefighters injured in ‘vapor explosion’ while battling garage fire

Officials said the fire flashed over when firefighter opened the garage door

3 colo ffs injured vapor explosion garage fire

Photo/West Metro Fire Rescue

Kieran Nicholson
The Denver Post

JEFFERSON COUNTY, Colo. — Three firefighters were injured Saturday morning battling a garage fire in Jefferson County.

West Metro Fire Rescue responded at about 9:30 a.m. to the Tanemara apartments, 11439 W. Burgandy Ave., near the intersection of South Simms Street and West Bowles Avenue, on a garage fire, according to the fire department.

The fire started in the engine compartment of a white C3 Corvette parked inside an adjoined garage at the complex, west metro said, and when firefighters arrived light smoke was showing.

When firefighters opened the garage door the “smoldering fire flashed over, causing a vapor explosion,” west metro said. Three firefighters suffered “minor injuries” and were taken to a local hospital for evaluation.

Firefighters contained the “accidental” fire to the one garage unit. An arson dog, named ROTC, helped fire investigators with their work on Saturday.

___

(c)2021 The Denver Post

https://www.facebook.com/WestMetroFireRescue/posts/10159070091340535?__cft__[0]=AZX1wqjy5zhA6-yZR_j5An8uvrhpVhkVi6jk3LkZQIWSBVcUhKEHfhzKsE2e70MGDeJbrBP1M0PYfQCMWNPkzfZlCN22kkhD_QzalX1J7o3po5QNmrNEeYI68h2B114GvhG6n9eTYe_UWprreQL8mC9U&__tn__=%2CO%2CP-R

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU