LODD: NJ firefighter dies from smoke exposure

Richard Leonard, 70, breathed in toxic plastic smoke for hours while operating a pumper in 1993


By FireRescue1 Staff

PERTH, N.J. — A firefighter died Sunday after spending the last 24 years under workers’ compensation from medical conditions caused by smoke inhalation.

U.S. Fire Administration reported that firefighter Richard Leonard, 70, was operating a pumper in 1993 at a plastic recycling facility without breathing equipment, resulting in breathing highly toxic plastic smoke for hours.

Leonard did not return to duty after the incident and has been under workers’ compensation for ongoing medical conditions ever since.

You can pay tribute to Leonard here.

 

It is with deepest sympathy that we announce the passing of retired career firefighter Richard Leonard. He was seriously...

Posted by Perth Amboy Fire Department on Monday, July 31, 2017

 

Recommended for you

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2020 firerescue1.com. All rights reserved.