Trending Topics

Ceremony honors fallen FDNY firefighter whose organ donation saved 5 lives

Firefighter William Moon’s organs were donated to five people, including two members of the FDNY

By Bill Carey

NEW YORK — The FDNY held a plaque dedication on Sunday to honor Firefighter William P. “Billy” Moon II, who died in 2022 from injuries sustained in a fall during training. Moon’s organs were donated to five individuals, including two retired FDNY firefighters. FDNY Lieutenant Terrence Jordan received Moon’s lungs, and FDNY Captain Patrick Reynolds received his liver.

“Thanks to Billy, Lieutenant Jordan and Captain Reynolds are here today, and Billy’s lungs still breathe air, and his liver still functions in the walls of this firehouse,” said Chief of Department John Hodgens. “This is a somber day, but one that helps us to continue to remember Billy as the kind and brave man he was, the devoted father and husband, the passionate public servant, and truly one of New York’s Bravest. That’s how we will remember him each time we hear his name, see his plaque, see his grateful organ recipients, or have important conversations about organ donation.”

Moon’s wife, Kristina; his children, Colin and Brianne; and his parents, William Senior and Patricia, joined many members of his extended family at the ceremony.

On Dec. 12, 2022, Moon fell approximately 20 feet and suffered a serious head injury while preparing for a drill inside his firehouse, Rescue Company 2 in Brooklyn. The 21-year veteran was immediately treated for his injuries by his fellow firefighters and then rushed by FDNY EMS to Kings County Hospital in critical condition.

PREVIOUSLY: FDNY firefighter sustained fatal injuries in training fall

When it became clear he would not survive his critical injuries, his family made the decision to donate his organs to save the lives of others.

Kristina Moon has since become an advocate for organ donation.

Appointed to the FDNY on May 5, 2002, Moon began his career in Ladder Company 133 in Queens, where he worked for 20 years before being detailed to Rescue Company 2 earlier this year. He was also a member of the Islip Volunteer Fire Department on Long Island and was their chief in 2017.