Dog saves SC veteran during house fire

Half of Brian Rand's home was destroyed, but firefighters were able to save his medals from his service during the Vietnam War


Associated Press

BEAUFORT, S.C. — A South Carolina man says a house fire would have ended his life if it weren't for his four-legged friend.

News outlets report that Curly the dog saved Brian Rand on Monday morning by waking him during a house fire.

Rand says Curly nudged and pushed him until he woke up. He says he walked into the hallway, saw heavy smoke and immediately grabbed Curly to run outside.

Half of Rand's home was destroyed but firefighters were able to save Rand's medals from his service during the Vietnam War. Rand says the roof would've collapsed on him if Curly hadn't awakened him.

Rand says he went to an animal shelter three years ago looking for a small dog. Instead, Rand says the 70-pound (32-kilogram) Curly picked him.

 

Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Recommended for you

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2019 firerescue1.com. All rights reserved.