IAFC opens nomination period for Fire Chief of the Year awards
The award recognizes one volunteer and one paid fire chief for their leadership, innovation, professional development, integrity, public service and contributions to the fire service
By FireRescue1 staff
CHANTILLY, Va. — The International Association of Fire Chiefs is now accepting nominations for its Fire Chief of the Year awards, which recognize one volunteer and one career fire chief for their leadership, innovation, professional development, integrity, public service and contributions to the fire service.
All nominations are reviewed by a select committee of IAFC members. The nomination deadline is June 15, 2022. Nominate a chief here.
The awards will be presented on Aug. 24, 2022, at Fire-Rescue International in San Antonio, Texas. The recipients will be featured in the iCHIEFS member enewsletter and on FireRescue1.com and FireChief.com.
Fire Chief of the Year requirements
- A volunteer fire chief is defined as one who earns his or her principal livelihood by some means other than serving as a fire chief, even if the position of chief carries some compensation.
- A career fire chief is defined as one who earns his or her principal livelihood as a fire chief.
- In each category, the status of the fire department as a whole – paid, volunteer or combination – is not considered.
- Individuals who are eligible for nomination and selection as Fire Chief of the Year are limited to active chiefs of departments. Previous Fire Chief of the Year recipients are not eligible.
- Selection criteria will emphasize leadership, innovation, professional development, integrity, service to the public and contributions to the fire service as a whole.
- All of a nominee's fire service activities and accomplishments will be considered. Special emphasis will be placed on the period from 2019 through 2021. A nominee's command role at a major emergency incident, while relevant, will not be enough to place that individual into contention for the award.
Note: No politicking is permitted. The nomination submission and supporting documents comprise the entire documentation for a candidate's nomination. Neither the nominee nor anyone representing them is permitted to contact the IAFC staff or any member(s) of the nomination/selection committee after the nomination has been made and before the final selection has been made. Any violations of this will subject the nominee to disqualification.
Contact Firechiefaward@iafc.org with questions.