Trending Topics

Hawaii Attorney General: No criminal charges in deadliest wildfire in over a century

An investigation into the fire that destroyed Lahaina and killed 102 people did not find any information that warranted criminal charges

HONOLULU (AP) — An investigation by the Hawaii attorney general’s office into the deadliest U.S. wildfire in more than a century, which destroyed most of the historic town of Lahaina, won’t lead to any criminal charges.

Hawaii Attorney General Anne Lopez launched an investigation soon after last year’s wind-whipped Maui wildfires that claimed 102 lives. The Fire Safety Research Institute was selected to provide a scientific analysis of the fire and recommendations. The first phase of the investigation detailed communications problems while the second phase released last month described how a lack of planning by key agencies hindered efforts to evacuate.


Public safety departments and agencies did not develop plans such as having extra staff on duty, staging apparatus or supplies in high-risk areas, or possible evacuations.

The administrative investigation into past conduct didn’t reveal any facts that warranted criminal charges, Lopez said in a statement Thursday.

“Instead, the investigation revealed many instances of great heroism, and I wish to particularly commend Maui’s firefighters and police officers for their professionalism and bravery in extremely difficult circumstances,” the statement said.

The attorney general’s report noted some of the challenges facing officials and residents were particular to Hawaii and Maui, including narrow roads clogged with parked cars, private dirt roads blocked by gates and older, wooden homes separated by less than 6 feet (1.8 meters).

The attorney general’s office says the third and final phase will include a forward-looking report on the question of how to prevent the August 2023 tragedy from happening again. It’s expected to be released early next year.

In a separate investigation, officials with the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and the Maui Fire Department did not address liability but found that the wildfire erupted from an earlier brushfire, sparked by downed power lines, that firefighters believed they had extinguished.


Officials concluded the wildfire likely reignited from winds carrying an ember into a dry gully but did not address liability

Thousands of Lahaina residents have sued various parties they believe to be at fault for the fire, including Hawaiian Electric, Maui County and the state of Hawaii.

A few days before the one-year anniversary of the wildfires, Hawaii Gov. Josh Green announced a $4 billion settlement. That’s the amount the defendants have agreed to pay to settle claims.

But the deal is tied up in court. The Hawaii Supreme Court is considering whether insurance companies can go after the defendants separately to recoup what they’ve paid to policyholders.

Trending
Vincent Hayes’ birthday visit to Disneyland turned into a lifesaving mission when the young firefighter jumped from a stalled train to perform CPR
Dispatch logs show firefighters reported “nothing showing” and cleared a call at the earlier Lachman Fire, despite LAFD leaders’ statements that crews returned to “cold-trail” the burn area
Backed by a $3.3M federal grant, the program will launch in New York and Texas to equip providers with tools to manage stress before symptoms arise
A vintage 1977 VW Type 2 microbus that became a viral symbol of resilience after emerging from the Palisades Fire almost unscathed has been fully restored by Volkswagen