2 killed in fire at Atlanta home

Following the incident, fire department units planned to visit the neighborhood to distribute and install smoke alarms


By Angel K. Brooks
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

ATLANTA — A space heater ignited by combustibles placed too close is believed to have caused a southwest Atlanta fire on Sunday that killed two women, Atlanta fire investigators said.

Neighbors said one woman was elderly and the other was at least 50. The victims' identities have not been released.

A dog was rescued and treated for smoke inhalation with a pet resuscitation device.

Fire crews received a call regarding the fire from someone using a cell phone at 10:26 a.m., and crews were on the scene five minutes later, Atlanta fire Capt. Jolyon Bundrige told the AJC.

After extinguishing the blaze in the 900 block of Estes Drive southwest, firefighters found the body of one woman on their primary search, and located the other on a second tour of the burned-out residence, fire Chief Kelvin J. Cochran said.

Fire Department units will visit the neighborhood today to distribute and install smoke detectors.

Copyright 2010 The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Terms and Conditions Privacy Policy

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2022 FireRescue1. All rights reserved.