House saved by fire sprinklers in Calif.

Installation of sprinklers is required by state code for new home construction and by town ordinance for major remodeling projects


By Will Jason
The Marin Independent Journal

SAN ANSELMO, Calif. — A kitchen fire left a San Anselmo house with $125,000 in damage Sunday afternoon but a sprinkler system doused the flames before they could cause additional destruction, authorities said.

The fire broke out at 137 Humboldt Ave. after residents accidentally left a plastic serving tray on a stove before leaving the house, said Ross Valley fire Chief Roger Meagor. The residents returned home and reported the blaze at 1:44 p.m. but by the time firefighters arrived it had been extinguished by automatic sprinklers, he said.

"Without the fire sprinklers there would have been major damage to the home," Meagor said.

Installation of sprinklers is required by state code for new home construction and by town ordinance for major remodeling projects.

Copyright 2011 Marin Independent Journal, a MediaNews Group publication
All Rights Reserved

Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Terms and Conditions Privacy Policy

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2022 FireRescue1. All rights reserved.