Ill. firefighter dies from burns after explosion at family shed

Lacon-Sparland Firefighter Chaise Mangold, 21, died five days after the blast that seriously injured his father and two family friends


By Laura French

MARSHALL COUNTY, Ill. — An Illinois volunteer firefighter has died from severe burns following an explosion at his family's machine shed. 

Lacon-Sparland Fire Chief Rich Koch said that Firefighter Chaise Mangold, 21, was working on a truck in the machine shed on April 10 when fumes built up in the shed and an explosion occurred, according to 25 News. Mangold's father Pat and two family friends were also seriously injured in the blast. 

Mangold succumbed to his injuries on Thursday, five days after the blast. 

"As a firefighter he put up an incredible fight but for reasons we may never know the lord had other plans & he was taken away from us at a very young age," fire department officials said in a statement. 

Mangold had served with the Lacon-Sparland Fire Protection District for 3 1/2 years, officials said. An online fundraiser set up for Mangold's family raised nearly $25,000 in three days. Additional fundraisers were also organized by community members, including a drive at a local pizza restaurant that raised about $7,500 on Thursday, according to WMBD

Mangold's father was reportedly released from the hospital and is now recovering at home. 

The Illinois Fire Marshal's Office is investigating the explosion. 

Recommended for you

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2021 FireRescue1. All rights reserved.