Standpipe issues contributed to NC office fire LODD

The pipe had passed a required inspection in April and several tests after the fire


ASHEVILLE, N.C. — A faulty water standpipe contributed to the on-duty death of a North Carolina firefighter last month, according to a new report.

Captain Jeffrey Bowen, 37, went into cardiac arrest after succumbing to intense smoke and heat during the fire at an office building in Asheville on July 28.

Firefighters also had to wait nearly 38 minutes for water — longer than previously thought — according to the report released by the city that includes emergency radio recordings.

Though investigators already determined the fire was started by an arsonist using accelerants, there is no evidence of tampering with the standpipe.

The pipe had passed a required inspection in April and several tests after the fire.

  1. Tags
  2. Safety

Recommended for you

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2022 FireRescue1. All rights reserved.