NY FF injured in residential fire

An Albany firefighter and a resident were transported to the hospital after a fire sparked by a candle

Steve Hughes
Times Union, Albany, N.Y.

ALBANY, N.Y. — An unattended candle and an unsuccessful effort to extinguish the blaze before calling the fire department led to extensive damage at a 20-residence building on Brevator Street.

Albany Fire Chief Joseph Gregory said one resident and one firefighter were taken to a local hospital for treatment. Two other residents were evaluated at the scene but not transported for treatment.

Gregory said a candle in one of the rooms led to an accidental fire and it spread when someone tried to put it out themselves.

At least 12 people were being helped by the Red Cross and the city's victim assistance team.

Gregory noted that October is fire prevention month and that smoke alarms in the building were working, helping to alert some residents. Gregory said city residents should check their smoke and carbon monoxide alarms as the weather gets colder.

"Both of those devices do save lives," he said. "This was one of those instances."

The building did suffer some serious damage and was still being evaluated on Monday.


©2020 the Times Union (Albany, N.Y.)

McClatchy-Tribune News Service

Recommended for you

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2021 FireRescue1. All rights reserved.