Wyo. FF injured in fireworks accident
An entire fireworks show unintentionally ignited while firefighters were setting up for the display
By Laura French
TORRINGTON, Wyo. — A Wyoming firefighters was injured after an entire fireworks show was unintentionally ignited, starting a fire.
Torrington Volunteer Fire Department firefighters were setting up for the city's annual Fourth of July event Wednesday and loading fireworks into mortar tubes when one of the fireworks exploded unexpectedly, causing all of the fireworks for the show to ignite, according to a Facebook post by the department.
The eight volunteer firefighters who had been setting up evacuated the area and began fire suppression efforts. One firefighter sustained minor injuries and was transported to the hospital. It is unclear if the firefighter was injured in the initial explosion or while battling the fire.
Three other volunteer fire departments assisted at the scene, along with the Torrington Police Department, Goshen County and city emergency management departments and the county fire warden.
The Wyoming State Fire Marshal's Office will be investigating the incident.