Trending Topics

Autopsy reveals Ariz. firefighter died of overdose while asleep at station

The news is “tragic and very sad,” the Sun City Fire and Medical Department said in a statement following the death of Shane Godbehere, which is under investigation


Shane Godbehere, 36, a 15-year veteran of the Sun City Fire and Medical Department, died on-duty in his sleep at Station 131 on June 12.

Photo/Sun City Fire and Medical Department

By Leila Merrill

SUN CITY, Ariz. — A medical exam found that the death of a Sun City Fire and Medical Department firefighter on-duty in his sleep at Station 131 on June 12 was an accidental drug overdose from acute polydrug toxicity.

Shane Godbehere, 36, was a 15-year veteran of the department, 12News reported.

“[Godbehere’s] death really hit us hard,” Assistant Chief Rob Schmitz said in June. “We have had an outpouring of support from the firefighting community.”

A toxicology report released Tuesday found that Godbehere’s body contained fentanyl, oxycodone, cocaine and other amphetamines.

In response to the medical examiner’s ruling, the department released the following statement:

“MCSO is running the investigation and have not completed their findings yet. We have been made aware via the public Medical Examiners report that he passed from an accidental overdose.

While this is tragic and very sad, we need to remember that Shane was one of our family and is dearly missed. His family has asked for as much privacy as possible.

We continuing [sic] to focus on our members well being, looking out for one another, and serving our community.

Our message to our members has been to, please reach out if you need help or see someone that does. Ask questions and don’t be afraid to get help. We have many avenues available to help out members and their families in times of need.”