Trending Topics

Photos: Seattle firefighters rescue 115 dogs from pet daycare fire

Four dogs suffered smoke inhalation, crew members performed CPR, and the pets were transported to a veterinary hospital


Photo/Seattle Fire Department

By Madeleine List
The Charlotte Observer

SEATTLE — Firefighters rescued 115 dogs from a doggy daycare after a dryer caught fire in the building, according to Washington fire officials.

The Seattle Fire Department responded to The Dog Resort on Lake City Way in northeastern Seattle just before 11 a.m. on Feb. 1 and found multiple dogs trying to escape the smoke-filled building, according to the department.

The fire department called Seattle police and animal control to help corral loose dogs and prevent them from running into the road, the department said in a statement. Nearby businesses helped provide temporary shelter for the dogs.

Seattle news station KOMO News took aerial video of the fire.

Seven people evacuated the building, and paramedics treated a 19-year-old, the statement says. She was in stable condition and didn’t go to the hospital.

Firefighters searched the facility for all remaining dogs. Four dogs suffered smoke inhalation, and crews used specialized oxygen masks to give them air while performing CPR, a spokesman said. They were taken to a veterinary hospital.

The doggy daycare later said that it had accounted for all 115 dogs that were staying at the facility, according to the spokesman.

The resort posted on Facebook that all dogs were now at the facility’s second location or another daycare called BowWow Fun Towne.

BowWow Fun Towne asked owners picking up their dogs to be patient because its staff were assisting with the emergency.

Fire department investigators later determined that the fire had started in a dryer and spread to the back of the building. It caused about $300,000 in damage, according to the department.

©2023 The Charlotte Observer.
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.