Va. firefighter hurt in 2-alarm thrift-store fire

The firefighter suffered heat exhaustion battling the fire that officials continue to investigate


By J. Elias O'Neal
The Daily Press 

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. — Nearly 40 Newport News firefighters responded to a two-alarm blaze at a Denbigh thrift store that sent an area firefighter to the hospital.

Fire crews were dispatched around 2:26 a.m. Thursday to the Disabled American Veteran, or DAV, Thrift Store at 15265 Warwick Blvd. after a receiving a call about smoke coming from the rear of the structure, according to a news release. Crews arrived four minutes later to find a heavy volume of smoke coming from the building.

Jack Carper, Newport News Fire Department battalion chief of special operations, said a male firefighter was transported to Riverside Regional Medical Center in Newport News for heat exhaustion. He said the firefighter was released Thursday afternoon.

Carper said it took fire crews roughly an hour to control the blaze. He said much of the fire was confined to a receiving area in the back of the store.

"There were a lot of clothes and items in the corner of the structure," Carper said.

No damage estimates have been released, but Carper said the store is not a total loss.

The fire remains under investigation.

___

(c)2014 the Daily Press (Newport News, Va.)

Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC

Recommended for you

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2022 FireRescue1. All rights reserved.