Ind. firefighters forced to evacuate station due to bed bug infestation
Fire Chief Dave Cravens said he closed the station on Monday to allow exterminators to work to remove the bedbugs and to kill any infestation within the walls
By Ken De La Bastide
The Herald Bulletin
ANDERSON, Ind. — The Anderson Fire Department has closed Station 7 near the intersection of Eighth Street and Scatterfield Road because of an infestation of bedbugs and ants.
Fire Chief Dave Cravens said he closed the station on Monday to allow exterminators to work to remove the bedbugs and to kill any infestation within the walls of the station. The bedbug problem was noticed by firefighters last Thursday.
Cravens said the parasitic insects can hatch every 10 to 14 days and the building is being checked for any additional infestation.
He said Station 7 should reopen by the weekend or Monday at the latest. Cravens said the station is scheduled to be remodeled this year and the walls will be replaced. Cravens said there is no reduction in services to the public while the station is closed.
Engine 4 and Engine 7 have been relocated to the station on Cross Street. Medic 1 and Engine 6 have been moved to 29th Street and Medic 2, Ladder 8 and the Rescue trucks have been relocated to 53rd Street.
"Dispatch has been informed so they can dispatch the trucks as needed," Cravens said. "With the remodeling of Station 1 (Fifth and Jackson streets), this was the best way to maintain services to the public."
Station 1 is expected to reopen in April after a $1.1 million remodeling project.
Copyright 2018 The Herald Bulletin