Trending Topics

7 firefighters hospitalized for carbon monoxide exposure

Rescuers believe the carbon monoxide built up because a car in a garage had been left on for about 12 hours

By Loyd Brumfield
Dallas Morning News

DALLAS — Seven Dallas firefighters, along with a man and woman, were hospitalized after they were exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide Friday morning because a car had been left running in a garage for at least 12 hours.

Dallas Fire-Rescue responded to a call from a condominium about 1:30 a.m. in the 4200 block of Holland Avenue in Oak Lawn. According to spokesman Jason Evans, a man woke up, saw his wife was having a medical emergency and called 911.

While the woman was receiving care, high readings of carbon monoxide were recorded, which led to the hospitalizations. The firefighters are expected to be OK, Evans said, but no update on the couple’s condition was available.

Rescuers believe the carbon monoxide built up because a car in the couple’s garage had been left on for about 12 hours, Evans said. No other significant readings of the gas were found in other locations at the complex, and the gas quickly dissipated once it was discovered.

Copyright 2018 Dallas Morning News

Know the common sources and symptoms, immediate treatment options, and how to prevent CO poisoning
About 150 firefighters conducted an extensive search to ensure the safety of residents after the blast
Toxicologist Jerry Snow, MD, joins our hosts to discuss the common symptoms and what leads to misdiagnosis in carbon monoxide poisoning
Firefighters, EMTs and paramedics across the country brave freezing temperatures, face record call volumes and remind community members to stay safe in the cold