Carbon monoxide killed boy, seriously injured sister

The children's mother found them in their bedroom and she attempted CPR


The Associated Press

LINDEN, N.J. — Carbon monoxide poisoning apparently caused the death of a 9-year-old boy and seriously injured his 10-year-old sister who were both found unresponsive Tuesday morning, authorities in New Jersey said.

The children's mother found them around 7:25 a.m. in their bedroom, where high levels of carbon monoxide were found, and she attempted CPR, Linden police said.

Authorities said there was a carbon monoxide detector in the house, but it didn't appear to be working due to either corroded or old batteries.

The boy was pronounced dead at a hospital a short time later. His sister is hospitalized in critical condition. Their names have not been released.

The carbon monoxide poisoning might have been caused by the improper venting of fumes from the home's furnace, officials said. The investigation is ongoing, but authorities say it appears to have been an accident.

Linden is in northern New Jersey, about 20 miles outside New York City.

Linden school officials said grief counselors will be available this week to aid students and families.

Recommended for you

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2020 firerescue1.com. All rights reserved.