Trending Topics

Mich. fire marshal rescues child in house fire

A Muskegon fire marshal was in the area and saw the child inside the house during the size-up


Muskegon Engine Company 23.

Muskegon Professional Firefighters IAFF Local 370/Facebook

By John Agar

MUSKEGON, Mich. — A Muskegon fire marshal who happened to be in the area of a house fire carried a child out of the smoky structure.

Firefighters were called just before 6 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 31, to a report of a structure fire in the 1400 block of Park Street near Washington Avenue. A fire marshal, who was in the area, reached the scene in just over a minute and saw smoke showing and occupants evacuating.

While sizing up the scene, the fire marshal saw a young child. He entered the house and carried the child outside to safety, Muskegon Professional Firefighters - IAFF Local 370 said.

Firefighters then carried hoses to a second-floor bedroom and put out the fire. Firefighters said the occupant of the bedroom closed the door before fleeing which prevented the fire from spreading to other areas upstairs.

Firefighters also rescued a dog that appeared unharmed. No firefighters were injured but a resident was treated for smoke inhalation, firefighters said.

©2024 Advance Local Media LLC.
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.