Rotten office fridge cleanup prompts Calif. hazmat call


By Henry K. Lee
The San Francisco Chronicle

Trouble viewing the video? Download Flash player here
SAN JOSE, Calif. — A downtown San Jose building was evacuated and 28 people were sickened Tuesday after an employee trying to clean a refrigerator filled with rotting food mixed two chemicals, releasing noxious fumes, authorities said.

The incident forced the evacuation of 325 people from the AT&T building at 3475 N. First St. shortly before noon, said Fire Department Capt. Barry Stallard. Paramedics treated 28 people for symptoms that included vomiting and nausea, and seven of them were taken to hospitals, Stallard said.

The problems began when an employee on the second floor opened a refrigerator that had been unplugged and found rotting food inside, Stallard said. She moved the fridge to a conference room and used a cleaning fluid to get rid of the mess.

The woman, who was suffering from a sinus problem and couldn't smell the chemical, then used a second solution, Stallard said. The two chemicals interacted in the air, adding to an already pungent odor caused by the rotten food.

"Discarding the food isn't so critical, but more critical is the cleaning chemical, making sure you know what you're using," Stallard said. "Don't combine chemicals — you're never supposed to combine chemicals."

Copyright 2009 San Francisco Chronicle
All Rights Reserved

Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Terms and Conditions Privacy Policy

Request product info from top Hazmat Equipment companies

Thank You!

By submitting your information, you agree to be contacted by the selected vendor(s) and that the data you submit is exempt from Do Not Sell My Personal Information requests. View our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2021 FireRescue1. All rights reserved.