Trending Topics

Sprinkler activation knocks down fire inside N.Y. dormitory

Auburn firefighters responded to a cooking fire on the third floor of a Cayuga Community College housing unit


Auburn, N.Y. Fire Department/Facebook

The Citizen

AUBURN, N.Y. — Residents at Lattimore Hall were displaced by water damage following a small fire there Saturday afternoon, the Auburn Fire Department said.

Mike Grady, an assistant fire chief with the department, said a call came in at around 4:47 p.m. on a fire alarm activation at the independent student housing complex for Cayuga Community College.

A small fire was caused by food catching fire on a stovetop in one of the units on the dormitory’s third floor, Grady said. The sprinkler system doused out the fire before the department arrived. But due to the water damage that resulted, the Auburn Code Enforcement Office condemned the unit where the fire took place, plus the first- and second-floor units directly below, as the water reached them as well.

Grady said Lattimore Hall’s property manager is relocating the residents in the affected units. The fire department shut down the third floor’s sprinkler system and tried to get as much water out as they could, Grady continued, in addition to venting the smoke from the third floor.


Read more:

Adulting 101: Fire safe strategies to reach college students

Connect with RAs to help share kitchen safety tips, provide fire extinguisher training, and underscore proper use of small appliances

No one was injured. Auburn City Ambulance was also at the scene.

Some Lattimore Hall residents were displaced due to water damage from a sprinkler system following a small fire.

(c)2023 The Citizen, Auburn, N.Y.
Visit The Citizen, Auburn, N.Y. at
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.