N.H. firefighter injured at fire caused by discarded cigarettes

More than 30 firefighters responded to the blaze at the four-story apartment building, and one firefighter was injured due to a fall


Paul Feely
The New Hampshire Union Leader, Manchester

DERRY, N.H. — Officials say a fire at a Derry apartment building early Sunday morning that left two people homeless and one firefighter injured was caused by careless disposal of cigarettes.

According to Derry Fire Battalion Chief Shawn Haggart, the blaze was reported about 9:22 a.m. in a unit on the second floor of a four-story, 14-unit building at 95 East Broadway.

The Derry Fire Department said one firefighter was injured at the scene of an apartment fire that was caused by discarded cigarettes. (Photo/Derry, NH Fire Department Facebook)
The Derry Fire Department said one firefighter was injured at the scene of an apartment fire that was caused by discarded cigarettes. (Photo/Derry, NH Fire Department Facebook)

According to Haggart, upon arrival fire was showing from a second-floor window, with occupants of the building visible in windows and doors on the second and third floors.

Mutual aid reported to the scene, assisting Derry crews with battling the blaze and performing search and rescue operations for residents.

According to Haggart, one apartment suffered extensive fire and smoke damage and was deemed uninhabitable. The Red Cross is assisting the two displaced adults living in the damaged unit.

In all, Haggart said, 31 firefighters responded to the fire, with departments in Windham, Auburn, and Londonderry responding to the scene. Crews from Hudson, Chester, Salem and Hampstead provided station coverage.

Haggart said one civilian was evaluated by emergency medical services and declined further treatment and transport. One firefighter was injured at the scene, after falling due to icy conditions.

The Derry Fire Prevention Bureau determined the blaze was caused by improper disposal of cigarettes.

———

©2019 The New Hampshire Union Leader (Manchester, N.H.)

McClatchy-Tribune News Service

Recommended for you

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2019 firerescue1.com. All rights reserved.