Firefighter revives man from heroin overdose at restaurant
Roberto DiBono, who had recently attended a class on how to use Narcan, administered the drug to the unresponsive man
COMMACK, N.Y. — A Commack firefighter revived a man from an apparent heroin overdose Saturday in a Ruby Tuesday restaurant, officials said.
At about 3:30 p.m., emergency responder Roberto DiBono saw a 20-year-old man lying “unresponsive” on the bathroom floor of the restaurant at 6330 Jericho Tpke.
A used needle lay beside the man as his girlfriend attempted to give him CPR, according to DiBono, 48, of East Northport.
“His eyes were rolled up inside his head and he had no pulse,” DiBono said.
DiBono, who had recently attended a class on how to use the heroin antidote Narcan, administered the drug to the man, and within seconds “he was sitting up like nothing happened,” he said.
The man was treated by members of the Commack Volunteer Ambulance Corps and then taken to a local hospital, an Ambulance Corps spokesman said.
“Today reflects yet another incident where your community volunteers go above and beyond to help a stranger,” the department wrote on its Facebook page Saturday.
Copyright 2016 Newsday
All Rights Reserved