2 Long Island FFs injured in explosion, multi-home fire
The Valley Stream (N.Y.) Fire Department firefighters were injured when a chimney collapsed onto them
By Rachel Engel
LONG ISLAND, N.Y. — A gas leak is suspected after an explosion rocked a New York neighborhood and injured two responding firefighters.
NBC New York 4 reports that several people were transported to nearby hospitals after an explosion led to a multi-house fire.
Exclusive video of a house exploding in Meadowmere L.I this morning. The rush to save lives - the firefighters injured and you’ll hear from a woman who tried to save her house with a garden hose - at 6. @NBCNewYork pic.twitter.com/RjdAiUu6VM— Phil Lipof (@lipoftv) November 1, 2020
A 63-year-old man who was inside the home that exploded was airlifted to a nearby hospital, according to Nassau County Police Department.
Two Valley Stream Fire Department firefighters were injured after a chimney collapsed and fell on the pair, leaving bruises and lacerations, NBC 4 reported.
More than 100 firefighters from surrounding areas, including first responders from the FDNY, East Rockaway, Oceanside, Hewlett and other towns, provided mutual aid.
The arson bomb squad is investigating the incident.