3 Conn. firefighters, 1 resident hospitalized after 2-alarm house fire

The second floor of the home collapsed and a second-alarm was struck because of the volume of the fire and the humidity

By Tara O'Neill
Connecticut Post, Bridgeport, Conn.

BRIDGEPORT, Conn. — Several families were displaced by a two-alarm fire that tore through an Iranistan Avenue residence Wednesday afternoon, sending one resident and three firefighters to the hospital.

The call came in around 4:30 p.m. for a reported structure fire at 1042 Iranistan Avenue. As fire units rushed to the scene, the dispatcher said multiple people were reporting black smoke coming from the three-story home.

The first unit was on scene just minutes later and confirmed heavy fire and black smoke coming from the dwelling, as well as an occupant hanging from a third-floor window.

A rescue company was able to get the occupant from the window using a ground ladder, according to fire officials. A second-alarm was struck because of the volume of the fire and the humidity.

On scene, the heat from the heavy flames could be felt more than 50 feet away as the flames crackled.

Firefighters inside were feeling the heat too, with at least one firefighter coming out of the home, clutching his chest within the first hour. Other fire units on scene helped the firefighter get his equipment off. He was taken to an ambulance by stretcher and treated at a nearby hospital.



Fire spokesman Terron Jones said the second floor of the home collapsed but no one was injured. Smoke could be seen pouring out from the roof, with the majority of the flames roaring at the back of the house.

At 5:28 p.m., fire officials had the dispatcher issue the evacuation tone, ordering all firefighters on scene out of the home.

“Eventually all firefighters were evacuated from the building and exterior operations were put into action,” Jones confirmed.

He said the occupant found from the window and three firefighters were taken to the hospital for treatment.

The primary and secondary searches of the home were negative. United Illuminating had to be called to shut down the electricity to the home.

Red Cross arrived at Iranistan Avenue a little after 7 p.m. to help the families displaced by the blaze. Around 7:45 p.m., the roads that had been blocked off to traffic around the area of the fire had reopened.

As of 8:30 p.m., fire officials confirmed the fire was extinguished. The fire is being investigated by the fire marshal’s office.


©2019 the Connecticut Post (Bridgeport, Conn.)


McClatchy-Tribune News Service

Recommended for you

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2019 firerescue1.com. All rights reserved.