Mass. FF injured when window explodes at fire
Officials said the three-alarm blaze at a three-story home caused the roof and rear of the building to collapse
REVERE, Mass. — Six families are homeless and one firefighter was injured in a three-alarm blaze that gutted a triple-decker home in Revere — the second of two fires that broke out Saturday night, officials said.
"The building's uninhabitable," Fire Chief Christopher Bright told Boston 25 News. "The roof collapsed, and the rear of the building has a significant collapse and burn."
The blaze at the Mountain Avenue home broke out around midnight, quickly traveling to the roof.
The building will need to be torn down. None of the families were injured, Bright said.
A firefighter was treated and released from a hospital after a window exploded, shooting shards of glass into his hand, the chief said.
By Sunday morning, the flames that ripped through the building were knocked down but a Chelsea fire truck remained on scene outside the charred shell of the home. The building was still standing, but its once-white facade was burnt black by the blaze. Large holes were torn in each of its three floors and a collapsed roof was visible.
Homes in the area of Mountain Avenue and Cambridge Street were temporarily without electricity after crews were forced to cut the power.
Earlier Saturday, firefighters responded to a smaller fire on the second floor of a Revere Beach Parkway home that broke out at around 6 p.m. That blaze was knocked down within three hours, firefighters said.
Several other people were evacuated from that home due to the fire, according to the Red Cross.
Both blazes are under investigation.
(c)2021 the Boston Herald
Currently A10 and A11 are operating in the City of Revere at their 3rd Alarm Fire at 242 Mountain Ave. Box 118— Boston Sparks Assn. (@BostonSparks) February 7, 2021
Photos courtesy of Mike Wyatt pic.twitter.com/lzriaXB6jC