Recent acts of mass violence during active shooter events and other incidents in schools, churches and businesses continue to highlight the need for a multi-pronged strategy for both preparation and response. Further, first responders have themselves become the targets of violence in recent months during civil unrest. This special FireRescue1 guide outlines lessons identified from incidents that can direct fire department involvement in threat assessment, improve multi-agency through policy, training and procurement, and inform response and communications strategies on the ground.
- Should firefighters be provided body armor for responses?
- Beyond the traditional fire-rescue mission: Loveland’s TAC Fire
- A united front: Coordinated efforts are essential during mass violence events
- Q&A: The fire service’s evolving role in mass violence response
- What do you want to learn about mass violence response efforts?