10 N.Y. firefighters transported, 3 given naloxone after becoming sick at house fire
“We have no idea where anything was inside or what may have been in there,” Portland Fire Chief David McIntyre
By Leila Merrill
PORTLAND, N.Y. — Ten firefighters were transported to a hospital and three were given naloxone after they became ill at the scene of a house fire Wednesday, the Post -Journal reported.
The firefighters have been released from the hospital to recover at home, said Portland Fire Chief David McIntyre.
The chief said there are rumors and guesses as to what sickened the firefighters all at once.
“Three had to be given Narcan,” said McIntyre, referring to the opioid-overdose antidote. “A total of 10 were transported to the hospital.”
He also said that “the house was totally destroyed. … We have no idea where anything was inside or what may have been in there.”
Crews from Portland, Fredonia, Westfield, Brocton and Stockton responded, as did Chautauqua County EMS.
The fire is being investigated.