Off-duty Mich. FF injured rescuing neighbor from fire on Thanksgiving

The St. Ignace firefighter suffered smoke inhalation after pulling his neighbor from the burning home


Miriam Marini
Detroit Free Press

ST. IGNACE, Mich. — A firefighter jumped into action Thursday evening when he heard a nearby home was engulfed in flames.

The St. Ignace firefighter pulled his neighbor out of the Upper Peninsula residence before crews arrived at the scene. Multiple fire departments were en route to the 5500 block of Simmons Road when the firefighter saved the resident.

An off-duty St. Ignace firefighter suffered smoke inhalation after rescuing a neighbor from a fire on Thanksgiving.
An off-duty St. Ignace firefighter suffered smoke inhalation after rescuing a neighbor from a fire on Thanksgiving. (Photo/St. Ignace Fire & Rescue)

St. Ignace Fire and Rescue were alerted of a house fire with someone inside at approximately 8 p.m. Thursday. Crews left the scene at around 11 p.m., according to northern Michigan TV station 9&10 News.

The firefighter and the resident were transported to a hospital for treatment. The firefighter, who inhaled smoke during the rescue, was having breathing problems but was later released. The condition of the resident is unknown.

___

(c)2020 the Detroit Free Press

McClatchy-Tribune News Service

Recommended for you

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2021 FireRescue1. All rights reserved.