Minn. firefighters give Narcan for suspected overdose
First use of narcotics overdose antidote since program began for firefighters that respond to all medical calls
COON RAPIDS, Minn. — Coon Rapids firefighters say a 24-year old man is alive thanks to a heroin overdose antidote they began using three months ago. It's the first "save" since they began using Narcan.
Fire department officials say a man called 911 the night of November 28 reporting that a friend of his had possibly overdosed on heroin. When first responders arrived they found the 24-year-old unresponsive but still showing a pulse. Coon Rapids firefighters, who respond to all medical calls in the city, administered Narcan to the victim. After a few minutes of continuing to assist the patient with breathing, the patient became responsive and began to breathe again on his own.
He was taken to a hospital for further evaluation.None