Ariz. FFs carry 125-pound dog overcome by heat down hiking trail
Scottsdale Fire rescue teams carried Diego down a steep part of the trail, and the hiker and her two dogs were then transported using a UTV
The Charlotte Observer
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — A hiker and her two dogs were rescued by firefighters after one of her pets overheated while on a walk in Arizona.
Technical rescue teams responded to a call that a dog needed help around 1:30 p.m. on Sept. 21 on the Tom’s Thumb Trailhead, according to a news release from Scottsdale Fire.
The hiker was about three-quarters of the way from the trailhead but was unable to make it back after her 125-pound German Shepherd, Diego, got overheated, officials said.
Rescue teams carried Diego down a steep part of the trail, according to the release. The hiker and her two dogs were then transported using a UTV.
Diego showed signs of heat exhaustion, officials said, but seemed to recover after drinking five bottles of water.
Temperatures reached 89 degrees on Sept. 21 in Scottsdale, according to AccuWeather.
Scottsdale Fire urges the public to implement these tips about their pets and the heat, according to the news release.
Check the weather before going outside and limit your pet’s exposure if it’s above 85 degrees.
If the asphalt is too hot for your hand, it is too hot for your pet’s paws.
Provide shade for your pet.
Do not leave your pet in a hot car, as it can be fatal.
Do not leave your pet outside in the summer.
Do not forget to give your pet lots of water.
Scottsdale is about 10 miles northeast of Phoenix.
©2022 The Charlotte Observer