Pa. firefighter injured battling duplex blaze

The firefighter suffered first and second-degree burns; the fire was sparked by discarded cigarettes

EPHRATA, Pa. — A firefighter was injured while battling a duplex fire Thursday. reported when crews, with the Ephrata Pioneer Fire Company, responded to the fire at about 10:30 p.m., flames were coming through the roof and spreading to an adjoining duplex.

Firefighter Derek Vallery suffered first and second-degree burns to his ears and slight burns to his arms and scalp. A paramedic was called to treat Vallery, but he will not suffer any permanent damage. Vallery was released from the hospital and is at home recovering.

Following the injury, crews evacuated the building.

A fire marshal determined the fire was accidental and caused by discarded cigarettes. 

Recommended for you

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2019 All rights reserved.