1 Md. firefighter dead, another seriously hurt after shooting

Firefighter-paramedic John Ulmschneider succumbed to his injuries; volunteer firefighter Kevin Swain is in serious condition

Scroll to the bottom of the story for video of the news conference.

TEMPLE HILLS, Md. — A Prince George's County firefighter is dead, another was seriously hurt and a civilian was injured after a shooting Friday night.

WUSA9.com reported that the firefighters were airlifted to trauma centers after the shooting. Firefighter-paramedic John Ulmschneider, 39, a 13-year fire service veteran, who was originally listed in extremely critical condition, succumbed to his injuries. He was a husband and father of a 2-year-old daughter.

"Right now, we're here supporting the family as best as we can and to prepare to send our brother home," Deputy Fire Chief Benjamin Barksdale said.

Volunteer firefighter Kevin Swain, 19, with the Morningside Volunteer Fire Department, is in surgery and is in serious condition.

"Will it ever end? I hope so. But at the end of the day, the men and women of public safety are going to be there when the community needs us. And that's the reality," Prince George's Police Chief Henry Stawinski said.

Prince George's County Fire Department spokesman Mark Brady said a PGFD fire truck and ambulance, along with PGPD, responded to a welfare check around 7:30 p.m. They were called by a civilian concerned about a man at the home. The firefighters tried to communicate with the man at the home, but there was no response.

As they tried to go into the house to help, the resident fired several rounds that struck a firefighter from the ambulance, a firefighter from the engine company and the civilian who originally called for help. The man who fired the shots is now in police custody.

"There was only gunfire from the resident of the home directed at public safety. After public safety got into the residence, the situation immediately became calm and no police officers fired any weapons. It was simply the resident inside," Chief Stawinski said. "After several rounds were fired and I think they realized it was public safety, that's when the confrontation ended."

The civilian, an unidentified man, sustained a gunshot wound to his shoulder. He was listed in fair condition.

The county will do a thorough investigation of the shooting. No charges have been filed yet.

Watch the Periscope press conferences by clicking on the Twitter links below.

Recommended for you

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2022 FireRescue1. All rights reserved.