10 hospitalized after carbon monoxide exposure at Texas church

Seven fire and medic units were dispatched to assist the patients ranging in age from 7 to 58


Marc Ramirez
The Dallas Morning News

Ten people aged 7 to 58 were hospitalized Wednesday evening after suffering from carbon monoxide exposure from an indoor grill at an east Oak Cliff church.

The call had originated as an unconscious person in the 1400 block of Ann Arbor Avenue, according to Dallas Fire-Rescue spokesman Jason Evans.

Dallas Fire-Rescue units responded to a church where an indoor grill led to 10 people being treated for carbon monoxide exposure. (Photo/Dallas Fire-Rescue Facebook)
Dallas Fire-Rescue units responded to a church where an indoor grill led to 10 people being treated for carbon monoxide exposure. (Photo/Dallas Fire-Rescue Facebook)

However, “when firefighters and medics arrived at the location, they quickly realized the situation was a lot more serious than originally indicated,” Evans said.

In all, seven units were dispatched along with an EMS supervisor, he said. The individuals were hospitalized at four area hospitals with symptoms including lethargy, dizziness, headaches and nausea.

Evans said a propane grill was reportedly being used to cook inside with the building’s doors closed, causing enough buildup of the colorless, odorless and potentially deadly gas to cause adverse health effects for those inside.

———

©2019 The Dallas Morning News

McClatchy-Tribune News Service

Recommended for you

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2019 firerescue1.com. All rights reserved.