Texas firefighter-EMT dies from single bee sting

Brennan Livaudais had recently become a state-certified and nationally registered EMT and was also a certified firefighter


By Judy Millspaugh
The San Antonio Express News

SAN ANTONIO — Aug. 7 seemed like an ordinary day for Brennan Livaudais, a healthy and active 22 year old. His family did not know that within days, they would be planning his funeral.

Livaudais died from a single bee sting to the lip.

Death from bee stings is rare. There are less than 100 deaths a year that occur in the United States. A severe allegoric reaction called anaphylactic shock can occur within minutes and result in death.

In the event you are stung by a bee and experience any type of reaction other than pain at the site, call 911 immediately. Such reactions might be swelling of the lips or tongue, tightness in the throat and chest, or wheezing.

When in doubt, call 911.

There are certain ways you can minimize attracting bees. Don't use flowery colognes, soaps, or lotions, or wear brightly colored clothing. If a bee is near you, move away. Do not swat at the bee, which may aggravate it or create a swarm. Make sure any bee or wasp nests around your home are removed and destroyed by trained professionals.

Livaudais was knowledgeable about allergic reactions and anaphylactic shock. He had recently become a state-certified and nationally registered emergency medical technician. He did his ambulance ride-out training at Bulverde-Spring Branch EMS and was an able medic.

He was also a graduate of the Fire Academy and a certified firefighter by the Texas Commission on Fire Protection.

Judy Millspaugh is development director for the Bulverde-Spring Branch EMS.

Copyright 2010 San Antonio Express-News

Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Terms and Conditions Privacy Policy
  1. Tags
  2. Fire-EMS

Recommended for you

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2021 FireRescue1. All rights reserved.