NY fire, EMS crews rescue teen from fire at FF’s home
A 15-year-old boy was pulled from the second story of the Shortsville home and airlifted to a trauma center
By Rachel Engel
ONTARIO COUNTY, N.Y. — Fire crews pulled a 15-year-old boy from a fire at a Shortsville house belonging to an area firefighter.
Members of the Shortsville and Manchester fire departments were called to the scene, and were joined by firefighters from five other areas, FingerLakes1.com reported.
Crews were told the house was occupied by one adult and five children when the fire started. Four of the children and the adult had already exited the house, but first responders conducted a thorough search of the house, where they discovered the teenage boy.
EMS crews began CPR and treated him for acute cyanide poisoning and smoke inhalation before he was airlifted to Strong Memorial Hospital’s Trauma Center.
“The situation was further complicated when one of the children was reported missing,” Ontario County Emergency Management Office Director Jeffrey Harloff said. “The combined firefighter and EMS personnel were able to successfully affect a rescue of the child from the second floor and continue to work on the child to re-establish a beating heart.”
The home is owned by a member of the Manchester Fire Department, Harloff said.
The fire is under investigation.