Firefighter burned fighting garage blaze

The firefighter suffered second-degree burns and was transported to the hospital; the fire was likely sparked by hot ashes from a wood stove


LIMA, N.Y. — An East Avon (N.Y.) volunteer firefighter suffered second-degree burns while battling a fire Saturday morning.

The Evening Tribune reported the Livingston County Emergency Communications Center received a call for a structure fire involving an attached garage around 1 a.m. Saturday.

Seven fire departments and two ambulance units responded to the fire.

The injured firefighter was transported to the hospital for further treatment. A resident of the home suffered minor smoke inhalation and was treated at the scene and released.

The cause of the fire is believed to be hot ashes taken out of a wood stove and placed into a contained inside of the garage.

"The injured member of the East Avon Fire Department is in our thoughts and prayers for a quick recovery," said Livingston County Sheriff Thomas J. Dougherty.

Recommended for you

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2021 FireRescue1. All rights reserved.