Trending Topics

Ala. firefighter, family lose everything in house fire

Community and school rally to support a Stapleton firefighter and his family after a devastating house fire

Fox10News.jpg

Fox 10 News/YouTube

By Warren Kulo
al.com

STAPLETON, Ala. — Firefighter Stockley Hall was on his way home Monday when his pager went off, alerting him that a call had come in to the station.

Hall was not far from the Stapleton Volunteer Fire Department, so he responded to the call, arriving to drive a fire engine to the reported location of the fire on Highway 59 in the unincorporated community in Baldwin County.

When he got into the fire engine and got it started, he took a look at the address.

It was his own house.

“He didn’t figure it out until he pulled into the station and got the truck going,” said Hall’s firefighter colleague, Brent Pugh. “He saw the address and then he realized ‘Holy cow, that’s my house.’”

Hall and the other firefighters raced to the location, with Hall’s main concern the welfare of his 11-year-old daughter, who he knew was at home.

“That was his main concern,” Pugh said, “because at that point he had no idea.”

The young girl, as it turned out, had the presence of mind to immediately leave the home once she realized it was on fire. She walked a lengthy distance to her grandmother’s house, where the two made the 911 call which would dispatch Hall and the other firefighters.

Despite the efforts of Hall, Pugh and the other Stapleton firefighters, the Halls’ home is virtually a total loss. Hall and his wife, Holly, have two other children in addition to the 11-year-old.

“We talked to him after the fire,” Pugh said, “and again after things settled. My wife and I met with him that night. I would describe him as being in a state of shock. I don’t think it’s fully hit him yet.

“He’s got so many things on his mind, things to take care of. Overall, he’s doing ok, but you can tell he’s in a state of shock right now.”

In addition to volunteering with the Stapleton VFD, Hall is a full-time firefighter with Mobile Fire Rescue.

The Stapleton community is rallying around the Hall family, providing donations to assist the family in getting back on their feet. Pugh said gift cards and checks are most welcome. Checks can be made payable to the Stapleton VFD Auxiliary or Stockley and Holly Hall and mailed to P.O. Box 174, Stapleton, AL 36578.

In addition to monetary donations, clothing is also needed. The fire department published the following list of sizes needed:

• Men’s XXL shirts and shorts. Size 13 shoes.
  • Women’s large shirts, 12/14 pants. Size 8 shoes.
  • Teen boy: adult large shirts, adult large pants/shorts. Size 12 shoes.
  • 11-year-old girl: Adult medium shirts and shorts. Size 6 shoes.
  • 7-year-old boy: Size 8/10 clothing. Size 2 shoes.

©2023 Advance Local Media
LLC. Visit al.com.
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU