Pa. firehouse, 4 homes damaged in blaze
Fireworks exploded at one of the buildings during the fire, sending broken glass onto the street
Republican & Herald, Pottsville, Pa.
SELTZER, Pa. — A fire broke out in a Seltzer home Wednesday afternoon, causing significant damage to four homes and the Seltzer Hose Company.
The fire started in one double home, 312 and 314 Main St., spreading to 316 and 318.
Pottsville Fire Chief James Misstishin said Pottsville was first on the scene, responding to a report of heavy fire with entrapment.
Seltzer Hose Company, located at 320 Main St., Schuylkill Haven, Yorkville, Port Carbon and Minersville also responded, and a tanker task force was requested to bring additional water to the scene.
Blake Herndon, Saint Clair Rescue Hook and Ladder No. 3 volunteer, said he was at work at Zinda's Car Care and Speed Shop on Seltzer Road when he heard about the fire around 2:30 p.m. He said he and some neighbors came out to help.
"We got the guy out of 312, who was asleep when it started," Herndon said. "We got the one dog out. One dog was a casualty on the second floor."
Charlie Pretti, a neighbor, said he saw the man standing on the roof calling for help when the fire started.
"I came out and brought my ladder down as soon as I saw him," Pretti said.
Misstishin said no one was inside when he arrived.
As the fire spread to the second building, fireworks exploded in 316, sending broken glass out to the street. Firefighters ushered onlookers away from the house.
"There was heavy wind, which is why it spread," Misstishin said. "There was external damage to the Seltzer Hose Company next door."
Many neighbors watched as the fire burned, some bringing water bottles for the firefighters.
"Things like this just don't happen here," Barbara Andruscavage, a neighbor, said. "It's always sad to see it, but especially around Christmas."
(c)2020 the Republican & Herald (Pottsville, Pa.)