Trending Topics

Ore. firefighter suffers burns to 45% of body during duplex fire

Gresham Firefighter Spencer Tejedas is listed in critical condition

Editor’s Note:
The following is an update from Firefighter Tejedas’ family on the GoFundMe page.

“Spencer went into surgery at 6:00 p.m. this past Monday for the first of many surgeries to come. The doctors used skin grafting on both arms and his right thigh. Spencer will remain intubated for the foreseeable future. The tube is being kept in place for comfort measures and because he will continue to undergo surgery. However, his respiratory drive is mostly his own.

Doctors will continue to monitor his arms and legs for the next few days leading up to his next surgery. His next surgery will address the burns to his backside. Doctors estimate that 40% of his body is covered in third-degree burns and the remaining 5% will heal on its own. Doctors are confident with his progress. To quote his wife Melea “he likes a good challenge and has to be the best at everything, so he’s going to be the best at getting better.”"

By Fedor Zarkhin

GRESHAM, Ore. — A Gresham firefighter suffered burns covering 45% of his body Thursday while fighting an apartment fire started by an unattended candle, officials said.

The firefighter, Spencer Tejedas, is in critical condition at Legacy Oregon Burn Center, Gresham officials said. Tejedas has been working for the Gresham Fire Department since November 2020, a city spokesperson said.

The fire started around 9 p.m. Thursday at a duplex in the 1300 block of Southeast 182nd Street, Gresham. Tejedes and two other firefighters were injured “as the nature of the fire evolved rapidly.” Fire crews ultimately were able to contain the blaze to the one residence.

“Incidents of this nature are a harrowing reminder that despite our best efforts with robust training and protective gear, just how dangerous the job of a firefighter is,” Gresham Fire Chief Scott Lewis said in a statement. “Our hearts go out to the entire Tejedas family.”

The two other injured firefighters were treated at Legacy Emanuel Medical Center and then released.

None of the residents of the duplex or anyone else was hurt in the fire.

On May 30th 2024 Spencer Tejedas, a Gresham Firefighter, responded to a house fire with reports of children trapped inside.

©2024 Advance Local Media LLC.
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.