Trending Topics

Mich. firefighter poisoned by CO in commercial fire

Another firefighter also suffered smoke inhalation and several others took some nasty falls on the ice

The Huron Daily Tribune

MINDEN TOWNSHIP, Mich. — A Delaware Township firefighter was hospitalized with carbon monoxide poisoning after a fire of unknown origin broke out at Kolar Bros. Construction, Inc. early Thursday morning.

According to Minden City Fire Chief Zach Kramer, firefighters were called to the corner of Palms Road and Ridge Road around 1:30 a.m., when owners Bob and Lisa Kolar were awoken by the blaze and called it in. By that time, the company’s main building was fully engulfed, and the fire wound up completely destroying the building and all of its contents, including multiple skid steers and forklifts, tools, equipment, a tractor and a pickup.

Kramer said around 40 firefighters battled high winds and freezing temperatures until around 9 a.m., using over 100,000 gallons of water in the process. Delaware Township, Deckerville and Sherman Township fire departments were on scene providing full assists, and construction equipment had to be used to break through the ice of a nearby pond to get water for the fire fighting effort.

Aside from the one firefighter that suffered smoke inhalation, several other firefighters took some nasty falls on the ice, according to Kramer.

Kramer credited the Kolar family for providing warm beverages to firefighters throughout the morning. Also assisting at the scene was the Sanilac County Road Commission, Bingham Township Ambulance, Stringer Excavating and McEachin Excavating.

Copyright 2015 The Huron Daily Tribune
All Rights Reserved