Trending Topics

Li-ion batteries caused fire that destroyed Maine manufacturing warehouse

Fire in Chelsea destroyed a warehouse and several other buildings

By Christopher Burns
Bangor Daily News

CHELSEA, Maine — The fire that destroyed a Maine shed manufacturing building over the weekend was caused by lithium batteries.

The fire broke out Sunday at New England Rent to Own on River Road in Chelsea, according to Maine State Police Lt. Aaron Turcotte.

The blaze started about 1 p.m., the Chelsea Fire Department said.

Video circulating on social media showed a column of black smoke rising from the property.

In a Facebook post, New England Rent to Own said that it lost “building #2,” but stressed that “EVERYONE IS OKAY!”

Once the fire was extinguished, investigators determined that the fire started in an area of the warehouse where lithium batteries were stored. The Maine fire marshal’s office ruled the blaze accidental, Turcotte said Wednesday morning.

No additional information was immediately available.

(c)2024 the Bangor Daily News (Bangor, Maine)
Visit the Bangor Daily News (Bangor, Maine) at
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

Lithium-ion Battery Fire Resources